The Cascade Striders Running Club has been training athletes of all ages in Cross Country since 1972. We have attracted all types of runners to the program, from beginners to veterans, from future State Champions to those looking to get in shape for another sport. But one thing is common for everyone: you will learn how to love running, to push yourself to limits that you didn't know that you had, and to get in the best shape of your life.
The Striders are also well known for having one of the most experienced and supportive coaching staffs in the area, thanks to the tremendous sense of community that the team builds from within.
So come and join us! Great things await.
Coach Joe, Head XC Coach
Fall is the time of year to get a little muddy.
Cross Country (as the name implies) allows us the opportunity to take our distance athletes off-track. Although course distances are standardized by the age grouping (see below), course layout and terrain will vary meet by meet – think hills, woods, grass and trails.
- Ages 17-18 -- Course Distance 5000m
- Ages 16-15 -- Course Distance 5000m
- Ages 13-14 -- Course Distance 4000m
- Ages 11-12 -- Course Distance 3000m
- Ages 9-10 -- Course Distance 3000m
- Ages 7-8 -- Course Distance 2000m
*Athletes age is defined by the age they will be on December 31 of the calendar year.
The 2019 season will kick-off with practice on August 21 and conclude with the Junior Olympic National Championships in December.
- Cost is $200 for the 2019 season, includes registration for all meets.
- Additional cost is for a uniform top, which will be new for the 2019 cross country season. The cost is estimated at approximately $35 for the uniform top. Athletes will also need to have their own black running shorts and/ or tights.
- Athletes 9 and under must have an adult present for every practice - no drop-offs. Okay to coordinate with other families, just let the coaches know.
- We may ask that an adult run with their athlete if the child is struggling to finish workouts. We run on trails in which there is not always a line of sight to our groups and need to stick together. This is a safety issue.
- Our youngest athletes in the program are age 7. [We can no longer support athletes under age 7.]
- Practices are Monday and Wednesday, 5-6:30pm and Saturday 10-11:30am. Saturday practices are cancelled on days we have meets.
- Practices are at Wilburton Park in Bellevue until end of October, at which point we move to Grass Lawn Park in Redmond to workout under lights. We will also have occasional practices at International School in Bellevue and Kelsey Creek Park in Bellevue.
- We organize practice groups by speed so that athletes are working with others who challenge them. We work with athletes to navigate injuries, improvement, goals, etc.
- 800m jog
- Dynamic stretching
- Main workout
- 800m jog
- Core and strengthening
All levels of ability and experience are welcome to join us and parents frequently choose to run along at practice as well. If you have any questions, reach out to any of the coaches or board members before or after practices or feel free to use the contact page of our site.
We expect ALL athletes to be able to run a minimum of one mile without stopping, and up to three miles total during a practice. In the first two weeks of practice the coaching staff will be evaluating athletes for their fit with the program. If an athlete is not ready for our program, we will offer a full refund.
Very Important: ALL athletes must be registered in order to attend any practices. This is an insurance issue and registration is accepted after the first practice.
- Wilburton Hill Park (LINK) - Bellevue
- International School (LINK) - 445 128th Ave SE, Bellevue, WA 98005
- Kelsey Creek Park (LINK) - Bellevue, meet at SW corner of park by along 130th Place SE
- Grass Lawn Park (LINK) - Redmond (November – end of season)
Dates & Times
- Mondays & Wednesdays (1 1/2 hr practice between 5:00p - 6:30p)
- Non-Meet Saturdays (10:00a - 11:30a)
Reminder: For athletes age 9 and younger, a parent must remain at practice.
*Time and location information above is true in most cases. Be sure to check for the latest location and time information for specific dates on the Calendar.